Steroid hormone is used in the treatment of
- Multiple Myeloma
- Breast Cancer
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Cervical carcinoma
Answer: B) Breast Cancer
Treatment of Multiple Myeloma – Davidson 1047 (22nd Edition)
If patients are asymptomatic with no evidence of end organ damage (e.g. to kidneys, bone marrow or bone), treatment may not be required.
- High fluid intake to treat renal impairment and hypercalcaemia
- Analgesia for bone pain.
- Bisphosphonates for hypercalcaemia and to delay other skeletal related events
- Allopurinol to prevent urate nephropathy.
- Plasmapheresis, if necessary, for hyperviscosity.
- Chemotherapy with or without HSCT ( haematopoietic stem cell transplantation)
- Radiotherapy (effective for localised bone pain)
Treatment of Breast Cancer – Davidson 280 (22nd Edition)
- Surgery is the mainstay of treatment for most patients.
- Adjuvant radiotherapy is given to reduce the risk of local recurrence to 4–6%
- Adjuvant hormonal therapy improves disease-free and overall survival.
- Patients at low risk, with tumours that are small and ER (Estrogen receptor) -positive, only require adjuvant hormonal therapy with tamoxifen.
Treatment of CML Davidson 1040 (22nd Edition)
- Imatinib, *dasatinib and *nilotinib (*second generation tyrosine kinase inhibitors) – 1st line
- hydroxycarbamide (hydroxyurea) or Interferon alfa
Accelerated phase and blast crisis
- Imatinib is indicated if the patient has not already received it.
- Hydroxycarbamide can be an effective single agent.
- lowdose cytarabine can also be tried.
- Patients progressing to advancedphase disease on imatinib may respond to a secondgeneration tyrosine kinase inhibitor and may be considered for allogeneic HSCT ( haematopoietic stem cell transplantation)
Treatment of Multiple Sclerosis Davidson 1192 (22nd Edition)
The acute episode Pulses of high-dose steroid, given either intravenously or orally over 3–5 days
Disease-modifying treatment: Interferon-beta, Glatiramer acetate, Fingolimod, Monoclonal antibody to alpha4-integrin (natalizumab), Mitoxantrone Treatment of symptoms: Spasticity – Physiotherapy, Gabapentin, Ataxia – Clonazepam, Dysaesthesia – Carbamazepine, Bladder symptoms – , Fatigue – Amantadine, Impotence – Sildenafil 50–100 mg/24 hrs, Tadalafil
Treatment of Cervical carcinoma Davidson 1192 (22nd Edition)
- Pre-malignant disease can be treated with laser ablation or diathermy
- Microinvasive disease a large loop excision of the transformation zone (LLETZ)
- Invasive but localised disease requires radical surgery
- In metastatic disease, cisplatin-based chemotherapy may be beneficial.
So Steroid Hormone is used in breast cancer (Answer B) and Steroid is used in Multiple Sclerosis. Remember that.
Incoming search terms:
- Provide an example of how a steroid hormone or steroid-hormone receptor is used in the treatment of a medical condition;